Professor Richards’s Personal Background
Published on Apr 30, 2012
This video dialogue between Howard Richards, philosopher of social science, and Evelin Lindner was created on 30th April 2012 in Chile, in Howard’s Dialogue Home and Centro para el Desarrollo Alternativo in Limache, Chile. In this video, Howard Richards explains his family background and who inspired him. The video was recorded by Shelley Damaris Richards Higgins.
See more on:
13 Howard Richards’ Most Important Messages, 5th June 2013
Howard Richards shares what he thinks are his most important insights after a long life of study and reflection, insights that he wishes to offer as his most important messages to the world. The video was recorded in Pretoria, South Africa, on 5th June 2013 by Justine Richards.
Howard Richards on Terrorism
Published on May 1, 2012
Evelin Lindner is working on a book on humiliation and terrorism and persuaded Howard Richards, philosopher of social science, to comment on the topic of terrorism from his perspective. This video dialogue was created on 1st May 2012 in Chile, in Howard’s Dialogue Home and Centro para el Desarrollo Alternativo in Limache, Chile. The video was recorded by Shelley Damaris Richards Higgins.
– As for the “chemistry” of emotions, see Melvin Konner, The Tangled Wing: Biological Constraints on the Human Spirit, 2002
– As for deriving moral authority for peace from Islamic theology, see Saoud al-Mawla
– As for the lack of feasibility of the use of violence to reach the aims it intends to achieve, check out the work of Stephen Zunes.
Howard Richards on a Governable Plural Economy
Magnus Haavelsrud commented on the video on growth points that we created on 23rd April 2012 as follows (1st May 2012): “Thank you Howard and Evelin for this — make more! How about corporate responsibility as a topic and the new and reformed capitalism you are mentioning. Good business in other words and implications for Departements of Economy and research in economy and their great need for transdisciplinarity — also in economic thought. Greetings from oslo – magnus”
In response to Magnus’ comment, this video dialogue between Howard Richards, philosopher of social science, and Evelin Lindner was created on 1st May 2012 in Chile, in Howard’s Dialogue Home and Centro para el Desarrollo Alternativo in Limache, Chile. The video was recorded by Shelley Damaris Richards Higgins.
– As for the relationship between economics and history and the error made by looking for invariate relationship between variables, see Robert Boyer, L’économiste face aux innovations qui font époque : les relations entre histoire et théorie, in Revue Économique, Vol. 52, No. 5, Sept. 2001, pp. 1065-1115
– For a plural economy see the work of Pierre Calame, see, for example:
– Ethics: Paradigm Shifts that Need to be Made for the Transition, by Pierre Calame, the Charles Leopold Mayer Foundation for Human Progress, French Collective Rio+20, January 21 2012
– Turning the European Union into a Model of Multilevel Governance Founded on the Principle of Active Subsidiarity, a proposal by Pierre Calame, 2009
– As for an experimental society, see John Dewey, The Public and its Problems, 1927.
– As for an open society, see Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies, 1945.